The stone is named after the district Kadapa or Cuddapah in Andra Pradesh; where it is found in abundance in its Betamcharla area. From Betamcharla most of the black limestone/ Kadappa stone is supplied all over India.
Apart from Andhra Pradesh, Kadappa stone is found in
- Peninsular India’s: Tamil Nadu, Chhattisgarh, Maharashtra region
- Northern India’s: Rajasthan, Delhi, and places located in the lesser Himalayas like Kashmir, Shimla, Nepal.
When we observe the area of origin of this black limestone also known as kadappa, the common thing is that they are found in 2 types of places only, that is:
- River basin: the river basins in which kadappa stones are naturally found are Krishna, Penganga, Cheyair, Papaghani etc.
- Hilly areas: the hilly terrain from where kadappa stones are quarried are Pirpanjal, Kistwar, Rajpur, Gwalior etc.
So, Kadappa stone is a natural stone black in colour which is rich in minerals like silica, iron etc. These minerals are the reason behind the shades of black limestone/ Kadappa.
What is a Kadappa Stone?
Kadappa stone is formed by sedimentary rocks like sandstone and limestone. These rocks are rich in calcium carbonate which provide black colour. Hence, also known as black limestone.
Kadappa stones are available in 3 more shades:
Manufacturers quarry these stones from their place of origin and then cut them into desired shapes, sizes and thicknesses. Usually, the thickness of each slab of Kadappa stone is nearly 16mm to 20mm.
The sizes of slabs differ highly as per the
- Comfort, to design the structure.
- Purpose of the structure and its usage.
The difference in looks of kadappa stones are observed, on the basis of different kinds of surface treatment they receive as:
- Leather finish
- Natural touch
Use of Kadappa Stone
Kadappa stones are famous for their multifaceted usages. This stone is available in various forms:
- Slabs are usually installed in the kitchen as platforms.
- Tiles of this stone are used for flooring both inside and outside the house.
- Cladding material of this stone when used for walls, provides a quintessential look.
- Bricks of Kadappa material are used by builders for the driveway.
- Curb stones of Kadappa or black limestone provide good looks and quality when used for pavements.
- Cobbles are usually used with cement to build roads and pavements. Apart from this, they are used in gardens and in pots for good looks.
Also Read: Red Oxide Flooring
SLIP-RESISTANT: The treatments like sand-blasting and honing given to raw Kadappa stone make them resistant to the slippery nature usually found in tiles. This feature makes this stone a better option for both indoor and outdoor uses.
OIL-RESISTANT: After quarry of raw kadappa stones, the treatment they receive makes them oil-resistant. This feature provides this black limestone with an edge in the market to be a good option for kitchen purposes.
LONG-LASTING: This natural stone is made by the sedimentary process by the accumulation of tiny particles over years and years making them strong to stand adverse and severe weather conditions. This provides a structure made of Kadappa stone with high durability.
AESTHETIC LOOKS: Most customers prefer to purchase grey and black shades of Kadappa stone for their interior as well as exterior works. These shades provide aesthetic looks to both traditional and contemporary homes.
LOW MAINTENANCE: kadappa stones are easy to clean; no extra care or specifications are there to maintain them well in long run. Such structures are hard to get any scratches on them.
Many times we have heard the phrase “it’s hard to find”. These are the exact words which describe the disadvantage of Kadappa stone and products designed out of Kadappa stone.
Yet we would like to suggest readers, be aware of the material with black or grey shade. Every black or grey shade stone is not supposed to be a Kadappa stone. So please purchase your product from a reliable platform or shop.
To avoid any confusion or to have more clarity about Kadappa stone before purchasing, one could ask about their doubts at Ravzon.
Features added to Kadappa by its manufacturing process and surface treatment after quarrying enables the customers to use products made of Kadappa stone roughly without extra care yet adding intense and fabulous looks to space.
These combinations of features make customers stand in a win-win situation.