Terrazzo flooring is a type of flooring that has been used for centuries, but has recently gained renewed popularity in the design world. It is a composite material made up of chips of marble, granite, quartz, or other natural stone, set in a binder of cement or epoxy resin. The surface is then ground and polished to create a smooth, even finish. It can be used in a variety of settings, from residential to commercial, and is known for its durability, versatility, and unique aesthetic.
The history of terrazzo dates back to ancient times, when it was used in Egyptian and Venetian architecture. In the 15th century, Venetian workers discovered a way to use leftover marble chips to create a flooring material that was both practical and beautiful. Terrazzo quickly became popular throughout Europe, and was later brought to the United States by Italian immigrants in the early 1900s.
Terrazzo gained popularity in the mid-20th century as a cost-effective and low-maintenance flooring option for schools, hospitals, and other public buildings. However, it fell out of favor in the 1970s as carpeting became more popular. In recent years, however, Tarrazzo has seen a resurgence in popularity as designers and architects rediscover its unique aesthetic and durability.
Terrazzo is made from natural stone and cement or epoxy, it is resistant to wear and tear, stains, and water damage. It is also relatively low-maintenance, as it can be cleaned with a mild detergent and a damp mop. Additionally, because it is a poured material, it can be customized to fit any space and can be made in a wide variety of colors and patterns.
What is Terrazzo Flooring?
Terrazzo flooring is a type of flooring material that is made by combining marble, granite, glass chips, or other aggregates with a cement or epoxy binder. The mixture is poured on a prepared surface and then polished to create a smooth, glossy finish. It is available in a wide range of colors, patterns, and designs, making it a versatile flooring option for homes and commercial spaces.
Also read, Salt Finish Concrete
Cost of Terrazzo Flooring in India
The cost of installing terrazzo in India can vary depending on various factors such as the type of terrazzo, the size of the area to be covered, and the location of the property. In general, the cost of terrazzo flooring in India can range from Rs. 150 to Rs. 400 per square foot.
Factors that Affect the Cost of Terrazzo Flooring in India
- Type of Terrazzo: Terrazzo flooring is available in different types such as cement-based, epoxy-based, and precast terrazzo. The cost of each type of terrazzo varies depending on the materials used and the complexity of the installation process.
- Size of the Area: The cost of terrazzo flooring also depends on the size of the area to be covered. Larger areas will require more materials and labor, which can increase the overall cost.
- Location of the Property: The location of the property can also affect the cost of terrazzo flooring. If the property is located in a remote area, the transportation costs for materials and labor may increase the overall cost.
- Design and Pattern: The cost of terrazzo flooring can also vary depending on the design and pattern chosen. More intricate designs and patterns may require more time and labor, which can increase the cost.
Installation Process of Terrazzo Flooring
The installation process of terrazzo flooring typically involves the following steps.
- Preparation of the Surface: The surface to be covered with terrazzo flooring is prepared by cleaning, leveling, and smoothing it.
- Mixing the Terrazzo: The terrazzo mixture is prepared by combining the aggregates and binder according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Pouring and Spreading: The mixture is then poured and spread on the prepared surface. It is then left to dry and cure.
- Grinding and Polishing: Once the terrazzo has dried, it is ground and polished to create a smooth, glossy finish.
Epoxy terrazzo flooring is a popular choice for commercial and residential spaces in India due to its durability, longevity, and aesthetic appeal. The cost of epoxy terrazzo flooring in India can vary depending on several factors such as the size of the area, the complexity of the design, and the quantity of materials used. On average, the cost of epoxy terrazzo flooring in India can range from Rs. 250 to Rs. 500 per square foot, including the cost of materials and installation. However, it is important to note that the cost can be higher for more intricate designs or for larger areas.
Overall epoxy terrazzo flooring stands as a substantial long-term investment that enhances the value of any space in India. Its inherent durability, versatility, and aesthetic appeal make it a preferred flooring choice for both residential and commercial properties. However, prospective buyers should be aware that the cost of installing terrazzo flooring can fluctuate significantly. This cost variation hinges on factors like the chosen terrazzo type, the area’s dimensions, and the property’s location. Hence, it is imperative to meticulously weigh these variables when contemplating the installation of terrazzo flooring in your home or commercial space. Make an informed decision to enjoy the enduring benefits that terrazzo flooring brings to your environment.