A Cement producer named Lafarge was the pioneer of High Alumina Cement. He introduced this type of cement in 1925 in the United Kingdom. Another name for HAC is Calcium aluminate cement (CAC). High Alumina cement is basically a special form of cement that melts only at very high temperatures. Where other cements like Portland Cement fail to do such tasks of constructions and other activities, High Alumina cement is a win-win.
High Alumina cement is actually a paste made up by mixing of chemical substances like Iron Oxide, Lime, Silica, Titanium, Magnesium, bauxite and some insoluble material. This Cement is appropriate for many fast applications plus its quick setting properties made it strong for use in high temperature furnace linings. This cement is something that is durable for marine construction because it is unaffected by chemical attacks. Public started using HAC extensively in 1950 to 1970 to construct strong buildings that will remain unaffected during wars. It is composed of hydraulic calcium aluminates due to which it is also called “Aluminous cement” and “Calcium aluminate cement”.
High Alumina Cement can be easily seen in service today worldwide for constructing schools, hospitals, shopping malls, flats, shops and corporate buildings. Every year, more than 50,000 structures are being modified via use of this cement. Before buying High Alumina Cement, one should know that buildings which are made up of HAC are completely long lasting and problem free.
Our High Alumina cement has gone through several tests and only after suspecting 0% faults, we present this flawless cement in front of our customers. HAC samples are also available via our website www.ravzon.com for checking its strength, quality and long-term durability.
High Alumina Cement Production Process
The composition or production process of High Alumina cement can be done by focusing on three key things: – measured amount of chemicals, initial to final setting timings and temperature under control.
Table showing Chemical composition of High Alumina Cement: –
|Percentages of chemicals
|9 – 10%
|1.5 – 2%
|36 – 40%
|37 – 41%
|Insoluble material or reside
Initial and Final setting time of HAC: –
HAC sets very easily and quickly. Its initial time of settling is near 3.5 hours and final settling time is approx. 5 hours. On the first day its strength is 40 N/mm2 and then gradually increases for a maximum of three days. On the other side, Portland cement is full of free hydrated lime due to which it has no expansion more than 5mm. The production of this cement includes calcium aluminates. It’s a combination of lime, bauxite and other chemical substances mentioned in the above table.
We will explain the complete process of HAC production step by step: –
v At first, use the chemicals Bauxite and lime as raw materials and crush them both into small proportions. Each lump must be less than 100 mm in size.
- Put these small fragments in a furnace
- Now maintain the temperature of heat between 1500-to-1600-degree C.
- The melted material fell on the steel plate
- Wait for the molten material to little cool down
- Place this molten material into vessel
- This form of cement will now look like a rock after cooling down and turns into a light grey colour
- We will now break this cement rock into small chunks
- Every chunk must be crushed till it turn to a fined powder form of cement
- In last we will go through separation or filtration process by the use of separating funnel and magnetic separators to separate metallic iron and other impurities from the cement
- This refined powder or form of cement is High Alumina cement.
- It can neither be affected by frost nor by fire
- High Alumina Cement ignores the actions of acids
- This cement is not like other cheap cements that quickly turn to rocks. High Alumina cement gives you time for mixing and placing for better shapes of buildings
- Due to its weather resistant properties, it can work perfectly under high boiling points, as well high furnaces and underwater waves
- It has a very good compressive strength which lessens the cost of maintenance
- The chemicals used to make High Alumina cement were pure and in measured percentage which helps us to know in advance the exact amount of pressure that a HAC can handle
- The formation of HAC requires huge amount of fire which is not every time available
- Machines that are used to crush rocked cement into High Alumina Cement needs high maintenance
- The chemicals used to manufacture High Alumina Cement are dangerous for eyes
- High Alumina Cement is not affordable for poor people
- Not best for mass construction as after a limited period of time, it turns to a rock
- It requires extra care as if it comes in contact with ordinary cement then it will become worthless
- Alumina Cement are not for large scale concreting projects
- This cement is of very fine quality as of 2250 cm square/gram so high precaution is needed
Uses of High Alumina Cement:
- High Alumina Cement are used in construction of boiler plants and warehouses
- It can be used in making raw bricks because its main constituent is clay
- Due to its high temperature resistance, we can use this cement in making chimneys, boilers and furnaces
- Alumina cement is best for the use for marine or underwater construction as it is resistant to chemical attacks
- It is majorly used in structural concrete and precast.
- It is also resistant to fire, resistant to high tides of sea water and avoid chemical reactions in air
- Best for use in ammonia and other chemical-based factories
- We can also use this cement for sewer infrastructure because it is water resistant
You may also like this: Red Oxide Flooring